Organic rose geranium essential oil is extracted from the leaves and stalks of the plant Pelargonium that belongs to the Geraniaceae family and is not to confused with geranium. Pelargonium comes from South Africa but is nowadays popular in every garden as they can resist strong heat and even mild frosts. Besides being a beautiful flower with a very pleasant smell, it is also believed to repel insects and mosquito.
Rose geranium essential oil is a valuable essential oil with a sweet and rosy note and has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti fungal properties, it is astringent and tonic, it has anti inflammatory properties, it is anti depressant, cicatrisant and haemostatic (stop haemorrhage). Its properties are due to its chemical composition that includes terpenes, cetones and aldehydes.
Health benefits of organic rose geranium essential oil
Rose geranium essential oil can be used as such:
– to lift the spirit and release stress and tiredness by rebalancing the nervous system; it puts you in a good mood
– for detoxification and elimination because it has a diuretic effect and will be beneficial in case of water retention; it also helps cleanse the lymphatic system
– for PMS
– for inflammation in the joints, muscles or connective tissues
– on the skin, it has amazing effects especially in case of acne, eczema, psoriasis or other skin disorders caused by bacteria, but it can be used by anyone to regulate the sebum secretion and is beneficial to dry skins
– it can be useful for nose bleeding because of its haemostatic properties and even in case of cuts, wounds or burns thanks to its cicatrisant properties
You can use rose geranium essential oil in baths, massage oil, diffusion in the home, in a vaporizer, in organic cream or shampoo bases, or other organic products. As it is an insect repellent, you can use a few drops on a tissue if you are sitting outside or even at home to avoid insect bites. However, essential oils are very strong and only one or two drops should be used. It should not be applied undiluted on the skin as it can create irritations or burns and rose geranium essential oil should be avoided by pregnant women. Also, chose an organic essential oil to guarantee its quality as fragrance essential oils do not carry the therapeutic effects a therapeutic grade oil does.