Helichrysum comes from the Greek Helios=sun and khrusos=gold. Also known under the name Helichrysum italicum or Helichrysum angustifolium, Helichrysum is a plant belonging to the daisy family Asteraceae that grows on rocky and dry grounds, on abandoned grounds or behind sandy beaches at low altitudes. Helichrysum is commonly found in the Mediterranean region, especially in Corsica. Helichrysum plant produces blooming yellow flowers on a woody stem; the flowers are also called Everlasting (or Immortelle) because dry bouquets are made out of the flowers. The plant measures between 20 to 50 cm high and the flowers bloom in June or July. They have a very strong smell and are sometimes used in gardens to repel cats.
Helichrysum essential oil benefits
Helichrysum essential oil is becoming a rare oil and is extremely expensive. It has a thick texture and a dark color and is considered one of the most valuable essential oil for its health-benefiting properties. Relatively unknown in the USA, helichrysum is widely used in the medical aromatherapy world in Europe and even sceptics do not argue with its powers. Helichrysum essential oil is the most powerful oil to use in case of:
– bruise, wounds, sprains: In case of emergency and until medical attention is available if needed, a few drops applied right away on a wound or bruise will mostly prevent hematoma or swelling. Even if applied once the bruise is apparent, helichrysum will speed up healing and prevent the pain associated with the bruise. It can also be applied on sprains to heal quicker and even act faster than organic arnica cream.
– Inflammation, arthritis, rheumatism, muscular pain: Helichrysum has unique natural anti-inflammatory properties and regenerative properties due to its content of di-ketones. It helps connective tissues to heal and can soothe inflammations and even arthritis. It is good for all kinds of aches and muscle pain associated with exercise thanks to its muscle-relaxant properties and is therefore good for athletes. It has cell regenerative properties.
– Anti-coagulant and blood circulation: Helichrysum prevents the formation of blood clots and can even be used in cases of varicose veins or phlebitis. It acts as a blood thinner so it should be used only with the help of a professional practitioner especially for people on blood thinner medications. It stimulates the blood circulation.
– Stretch marks and scars: Helichrysum can help reduce scarring (new or old scars) thanks to its cicatrisant properties and should be used for a minimum period of 6 months to see results. It can be used also after surgery to speed up scar healing. It is also beneficial in case of stretch marks and can be used after pregnancy to make them disappear. It will help with tattoo-healing and body piercing.
– Colds, bronchitis, coughs and asthma: Helichrysum can help recover faster from a cold and soothe the effects of cough (helps get rid of mucus in combination with ivy leaf extract), bronchitis and even asthma thanks to its antispasmodic effects and natural anti-bacterial properties.
– Skin problems: Helichrysum is widely used in skin products because it can help with eczema, psoriasis, acne, dermatitis or problem-prone skins or skin irritation. It has also skin-rejuvenating and anti-aging properties and works wonder on sensitive or inflamed skins.
– Detoxification: Helichrysum can help get rid of toxins in the body by stimulating the liver and the kidneys. It can be used also during detoxification from drugs or nicotine to speed up recovery and it helps with nicotine withdrawal for people who want to quit smoking.
– Psychological traumas and nervous tensions: Helichrysum has the ability to soothe nervous tensions (works as a tonic for the nervous system), to relieve stress, to reduce headaches and to recover from past or current emotional traumas, shocks or stress disorders. It can be used as a natural cure for depression, anger or phoebias. It is said to be the “honey for the psyche” and contributes to spiritual growth by opening the heart and connecting body and soul.
How to use helichrysum essential oil?
When considering using helichrysum essential oil, one should always favor a 100% pure helichrysum essential oil to ensure that the oil is true and pure. A fake oil will not have the health benefits listed above and won’t work.
Also, helichrysum essential oil is a very powerful oil so it should be used carefully and in small quantities otherwise, the adverse effects could occur. When used to treat emotional wounds, this should be done step by step as strong emotions can resurface at once.
When used on the skin, one or two drops mixed with a carrier oil is sufficient to apply on the desired area. In case of bruise or wound, one or two drops of undiluted organic helichrysum essential oil can work wonders.
Helichrysum essential oil is not to be used by children or pregnant women. Also, to use helichrysum essential oil as part of a health treatment, it is recommended to consult a professional practitioner for advice.